Saturday, March 12, 2005

school of rock

Lillian and I tuned in for the last hour of SCHOOL OF ROCK. This movie makes me so happy to be a teacher who -- like the Jack Black character -- is only semi-talented but who has so much love for making art and that's what I bring to the table. I am not the smartest person in the room, or the most talented, but I am the person who has the big big love for literature and for making art with words and for anyone anywhere who cares about it. and i have the big amour and the respect for anyone who makes art, be it the groovy groovy guys from CREWEST making graffiti and showing other guys how to make it, or Incredible Erika Suderburg with her plaques and tiny photos and films, or the well known like Aimee or the not so well known like rick peikoff who lives in the little residence hotel near roxbury park and is one of the most incredible guitarists I have ever heard. It's a great feeling -- to not worry about being a genius or about being famous or about being whatever, but to be so very happy and grateful about being part of the conversation, and like victor hugo says, planting my little bricks in the ever growing towering tower of mad babel wordwork. our cathedral -- a temple of words.

No comments: